Friday, July 22, 2011

Traveling encompasses the persona of being something or someone that you are not, but that is irrelevant because you are the only person in the know. I fell in love with travel a few years ago as I had the opportunity to travel far away from home for work and fun. I was fortunate to visit great cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, San Diego, Newport Beach, Houston and Seattle. All were great, but it was in Seattle that I embraced travel as an opportunity to escape all reality.

I set out on a trip to see my cousin in Seattle and it was mostly a trip to get away from some rough things happening in my life. As I was able to experience the city and all it offered, I began to realize that it is a lot of fun being away and enjoyed the relaxation of something new. Growing up I did travel with the family, but it was never very far or to new and exciting places. We would go camping at Hunting Island, SC, go to Ft. Lauderdale to see family, go camping in Maggie Valley, NC. I did go on a few church trips with the youth group to Chicago and snow skiing on Sugar Mountain, NC. But I never did any flying or extensive travel. In fact my first time in a plane was when I was 21. All these trips are great memories for me as we spent them with family.

I've had some unbelievable experiences and great stories from traveling. I won't go back in time, but as time goes on, I want to share the experiences and tips for travel. This will not be a travel channel special where they point you in the direction of the most well known 5 star hotel. No, this will be a dedication to mostly off the beaten path vacations and travels. It is a charge to find the eccentric and unique vacations that no one else will be able to tell about.

Maybe some people will follow suit and create vacations for themselves that are more thoughtful and have more meaning.

I grew up in North Augusta, SC, a fairly small town just across the Savannah River from Augusta, GA. My family has lived there for generations and it is great to visit on occasion. I moved to Florida in 2008, so I spent 28 year in my hometown. Moving to Florida meant that I left my family and friends, but it was for a great reason.

Since moving to Florida I have been fortunate to find a beautiful lady that enjoys the food, culture and history of travel. It has been great to share the experiences with Ashley over the last two years as compared to traveling single. We are planning our wedding as I write and it is quickly approaching! Of course, with a wedding comes a honeymoon and I was able to use some personal inspiration to create a magical trip. I will be sharing from the road on that trip.

So now we begin our new journey in marriage and travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment